So I wanted to make sure you all had a Halloween-y recipe for whatever parties or events you may be having this year. My tia shared this recipe on facebook, and I decided I HAD to make it.
This recipe for how to make the spider comes from Woman’s Day and calls for 2 balls of pizza dough. I decided to make it myself and instead of trying the Sicilian pizza recipe, I got this pizza dough recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking’s 15-Minute Pizza Dough Recipe (No Yeast)
Pizza Dough Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 Cups of Flour
- 3 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 3/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons of Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
Pizza Dough Directions:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- In a mixing bowl-combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- Combine the water and oil in a separate jug or cup.
- Slowly add the water and oil mixture to the flour mixture, holding back a little in case you don’t need it all.
- Using a wooden spoon, or your hands, mix until the dough is combined. It should be soft, but not sticky.
- Add a splash more water if you dough is dry.
Saucy Spider Ingredients:
- 2 Balls of Pizza Dough
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Large Pitted Black Olive
- 2 Cups of Marinara Sauce
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the spider by cutting one ball of dough in half.
- Shape one half into a 5-inch ball to make the spider body.
- Cut a 1 1/2 inch strip from the remaining half and shape into a 2 1/2 inch ball to make the head.
- Cut the remaining dough into 8 strips and roll each strip into a 6 inch rope to make the legs.
- Arrange the body, legs, and head on one of the prepared baking sheets to resemble a spider, gently pressing all of the pieces of dough together.
- Brush the spider with some of the egg.
- Sprinkle the legs 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.
- Place 2 of the olive slices on the top of the head for eyes and 2 on the bottom for pincers.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 mins. (Cover the legs with foil if they brown too quickly).
- Meanwhile, make the spider leg sticks. Cut the remaining ball of dough into into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 3/4 inch thick rope.
- Cut each rope into various lengths.
- Taper one end of each piece and slightly bend the others to resemble legs.
- Place on the second baking sheet, brush with the remaining egg and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until golden brown-15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm marinara sauce.
- Using a knife, hollow out the body of the spider and fill with the warm sauce.
- Serve with the leg sticks.
The Pizza Dough:
The Spider Before Baking-I Didn’t Have Any Olives:
Spider After Baking:
Spider Body Filled:
Thoughts After Reading:
So the dough was okay, but too salty for me. I don’t think I would make it again. It also only made one ball of dough so I didn’t get any spider legs out of it.
The spider was so cute. I ended up making White Bean and Barley Soup with Tomatoes and Greens and filled my spider with it.
It was easy to make too, and I’m going to try and do it for a future party.
For more Halloween recipes, go to Pumpkin French Toast
For more pizza dough recipes, go to Pizza Siciliana