So I was shelving book in the library and saw this cookbook Vegetarian: Tasty Recipes for Every Day, by Helen Aitken, and was just captured by that image on the cover. I had to check it out and make it for myself
- 1/2 Cup of Oil
- 2 Zucchini, Sliced on the Diagonal
- 1 lb Eggplant, Sliced
- 1 Small Fennel Bulb, Sliced
- 10 oz of Ricotta Cheese (I don’t like Ricotta so I use Cottage Cheese)
- 2 oz of Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Flat-leaf Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon of Chopped Fresh Chives
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Grilled, and cut into large pieces
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Grilled, and cut into large pieces
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 Red Chili, seeded and chopped
- 14 oz Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Cook the vegetables in separate batches on high heat for 5 mins, or until golden, adding oil if needed.
- Drain vegetables separately on paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the cheeses and herbs in a small bowl and mix together.
- Lightly grease four 1 1/4 cup ramekins and line with baking paper.
- Using half the eggplant, put a layer in the base of each dish.
- Layer with zucchini, bell pepper, cheese mixture, fennel and onion over the eggplant.
- Cover with the remaining eggplant and press down firmly.
- Bake for 10-15 mins or until hot.
- Leave for 5 minutes before turning out.
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Heat oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins or until soft.
- Ass the chili, tomato, and tomato paste and simmer for 5 mins or until thick and pulpy.
- Purée in a food processor.
- Return to the saucepan and keep warm.
- Spoon over the terrines.
Thoughts After Reading:
This was sooooooooooooooooooo good that I ate it all instantly and forgot to take a pic. I strongly recommend it! Like I am serious, words cannot describe how delicious this was.
And if in a time crunch, you can substitute the spicy sauce for pasta sauce.
For more vegetarian recipes, go to Vegetable Tempura
For more recipes, go to Scrambled Eggs with Spinach & Parmesan