So on Tuesday we had an Amish mystery, Where Hope Dwells, so of course we need an Amish recipe.
This recipe comes from Recipelion.com. It can be made to eat or dry ingredients layered in a jar and given to a friend with written directions on how to prepare.
- 1/2 Cup of Dry Split Peas, Sorted & Rinsed
- 1/2 Cup of Dried Lentils, Sorted & Rinsed
- 1/3 Cup of Beef Bouillon, (I used Chicken as I didn’t have Beef)
- 1/4 Cup of Pearl Barley
- 1/4 Cup of Diced Minced Onion
- 2 Teaspoons of Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup of Small Pasta Noodles
- 1lb of Ground Beef
- 3 Quarts of Water
- 1 28-oz Can of Diced Tomatoes, Undrained
- 2 Carrots , Chopped (optional)
- Spinach (optional)
- In a large pot, brown ground beef and drain.
- Return cooked beef to to the pot.
- Add peas, lentils, bouillon, pearl barley, onion, italian seasoning, water, carrots, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 mins.
- Add pasta and spinach and simmer for 20-25 mins, or until pasta, peas, lentils, and barley are tender.
Thoughts After Cooking:
So I thought this soup was pretty good, but not as good as some others I have made. The nice thing was that it was extremely easy to make.
For more Amish recipes, go to Amish Baked Oatmeal
For more Pinterest recipes, go to Healthy Baked Broccoli Tots
For more soup recipes, go to Lemon Tree Dwelling’s Minestrone Soup