Happy Chinese New Year!
Thoughts Before Cooking:
So I have been bugging my friend Dao for years about teaching me to make eggs rolls. We finally were able to match up our schedules and this is her recipe, just in time for the Lunar New Year!
Dao’s Notes: Here is the recipe (but add to it as you like). Honestly I eye ball everything but I’m trying to break it down so you can make it at home.
Egg Roll Filling
- 1 Cabbage, finely chopped
- 3 Onions, finely sliced and diced
- 6 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 Package of Glass Noodles
- 1-2 Packages of Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1/2 Cup of Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 Cup of Soy Sauce
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Salt and Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 1 lb of ground turkey (or meat of your choice)
Egg Roll Paste
- 1-2 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
- Cilantro, chopped finely
- Red Thai Pepper, chopped finely (The more you add the spicier it will be)
- Peanut Butter
- 1 Lemon
- 1-2 Cups of Sweet Chili Spring Roll Sauce
Egg Roll Directions:
- Soak the noodles in hot water at least an hour before, so they can soften.
- Drain the water and cut the noodles a inch to 2 inches long.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Make the paste by combining the water and flour, but make sure it isn’t too runny.
- Take an egg roll wrapper and lay it diagnolly, like a diamond.
- Spoon some of the egg roll mixture into the middle.
- Fold bottom corner over filling, roll snugly halfway to cover filling.
- Fold both sides in, creating like an envelope and roll, sealing edge with paste. It is very similar to rolling a burrito.
- Fry the egg rolls in oil, making sure the wok or pot is deep enough so they are completely covered.
- Fry until egg rolls are brown and crunchy, lay on paper towl to drain oil.
- Heat up 1 cup of water for one minute in the microwave and then add 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter, mix until melted.
- Add cilantro, chili peppers, lemon, Sweet Chili Spring Roll Sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goood! I wanted to eat them alll!
For more Chinese New Year/Lunar New Year recipes, go to Chicken Cashew Wrap
For more holiday posts, go to Matcha Green Tea Blast Smoothie