My niece wanted to make brownies one day, so I pulled out my copy of Hershey’s Cocoa Cookbook. Last year I was given a hardcover one, which is great, but when I think about this cookbook I always go to the image of the paperback featured above. We used to always make things out of my mom’s old ’70s copy when I was growing up, all battered-stained, and well-loved.
So these brownies do not photograph well, but I have to agree that they are pretty much the “best” brownies you will make.
- 1/2 Cup of Vegetable Oil or Melted Butter
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Unsifted All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup of Hershey’s Cocoa
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Nuts (optional)
- Blend oil, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, beat well with spoon.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended.
- Stir in nuts, if adding them.
- Spread in greased 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degree F for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begins to pull away from the edges of the pan.
- Cool in pan.
- Frost if desired; cut into squares.
- Makes about 16 brownies.
Thoughts After Reading:
We made these for ourselves and a potluck and they were gone like that! I was lucky enough to get one!
As I said they might photograph gorgeously, but they are fantastic!
For more “bar cookies”, go to Lemon Bars
For more cookies, go to Braided Candy Canes
For more dessert, go to Creamy Sour Cream Lemon Pie