Happy New Year!
I hope you all have a blessed year!
So it is time for our tradition of New Year’s Day breakfast food recipe!
Thoughts Before Baking:
So I don’t like the titular dessert and looked for something else to try in this book, settling on Carrot Oatmeal Muffins.
I hate eating oatmeal-like for breakfast with milk or hot water. Ugh, so gross. So any time I find a recipe that uses up oatmeal in baking or smoothies, I love to try it.
- 1 1/3 Cup of Flour
- 1 Cup of Quick-Cooking or Old-Fashioned Dry Oatmeal
- 1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup of Finely Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Cup of Raisins (optional)-I didn’t do this as I hate cooked raisins
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 1/3 Cup of Melted Salted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray a 12-cup muffin tin, set aside. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and oatmeal.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon on top. Mix them thoroughly.
- Stir in the brown sugar. Mix until until all is blended.
- Shred the carrots if you haven’t already done so. A fine shred is best. You want them to cook in the time it takes the muffins to bake and turn golden brown and delicious.
- Add the shredded carrots and raisins if adding them, to your bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the milk, beaten egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Give it a good stir so that everything is well combined.
- Dump the contents of the small bowl into the larger bowl. Gently stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened and no dry “pockets” remain.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Set the muffin pan on a cold burner or a wire rack for 10 mins. After they have cooled for 10 mins, put them on a rack to cool.
- Makes about 12 muffins.
Thoughts After Reading:
Fantastic. I loved them!
For more Hannah Swensen recipes, go to Christmas Lace Cookies
For more muffin recipes, go to Breakfast Puffin Muffins
For more breakfast recipes, go to Pão de Queijo
For more Joanne Fluke recipes, go to Vanilla Crackle
For more New Year’s Day posts, go to Best-Ever Blueberry Muffins
In other news, let’s have a quick year review.
So last year I published 124 posts!
Out of those 124 posts, I’ve reviewed 73 mysteries. Which you should definitely check out.
- Next Victim (Abby Sinclair and Tess McCallum Series #2)
- The View from Prince Street (Alexandria #2)
- Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden Mystery #1)
- Midnight in Austenland (Austenland #2),
- For Whom the Bluebell Tolls (A Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #2)
- Death by Honeymoon (Caribbean Murder Mystery #1),
- Larceny and Old Lace (A Den of Antiquity Mystery #1),
- Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery #4)
- Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1),
- Murder at Hobcaw Barony (Eleanor Roosevelt Investigates #3),
- Everybody Called Her a Saint (Everybody’s a Suspect #3)
- Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
- The Cereal Murders (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #3),
- Devil’s Food Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen Mystery #14)
- The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1)
- The Butterfly and the Violin (A Hidden Masterpiece Novel #1),
- This Pen for Hire (Jaine Austen Mystery #1),
- A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction #3)
- Crazy, VA (Lil & Boris #1)
- Mail Order Murder [also known as Mistletoe Murder] (Lucy Stone Mystery #1)
- Wolverine Noir (Marvel Noir Series)
- Capital Bride (Matchmaker & Co. #1)
- Suspense and Sensibility Or, First Impressions Revisited (A Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mystery #2)
- Another Saturday Night and I Ain’t Got Nobody (Page Turners Novel #1)
- Iced (Regan Reilly Mysteries #3)
- Rosemary’s Baby (Rosemary’s Baby #1)
- Death by Cashmere (Seaside Knitters Mystery #1)
- Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery #1),
- Innocent in Las Vegas (Tiffany Black Mysteries #1)
- The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence Mystery #1)
- Frosted Shadow (Toni Diamond Mystery #1)
- The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire Mystery #1)
And the following stand alone mysteries: Alias Grace, The Andromeda Strain, Candy from a Stranger, Christina’s Ghost, Death Wears a Beauty Mask, The Mystery of Jessica Benson, The Night Sister, The President’s Daughter, Weak Flesh, The Wife, and Wuthering Heights
And the following nonfiction: The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town, Oscar Wilde’s Last Stand: Decadence, Conspiracy, and the Most Outrageous Trial of the Century, and Supernatural Horror in Literature
And the following short stories: The Black Velvet Ribbon, The Boscombe Valley Mystery, A Case of Identity, Conspiracy, Definitely, A Crime of Passion, The Hitchhiker, The Jigsaw Puzzle, Marionettes, Inc.,The Old Plantation, Punishment Without Crime, Stowaway, Voices in the Coalbin, and Zero Hour.
And the following Children’s books: Garfield in The Case of the Mystery Mail and High Sea Adventure
And the following little extras: Archie Andrews: Not So Private Eye, He’s Dead, Jim, and Little Archie: Man of the House
That’s a lot!
With cooking I reviewed 49 different recipes:
Breakfast: Chorizo Breakfast Burrito, Eggs in Purgatory, and Pão de Queijo
Drinks: Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie, Blueberry Earl Grey Tea Smoothie, Blueberry Infused Water, Fresh & Frozen, Blueberry Muffin Smoothie, Cinnamon Roll Smoothie, Healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, London Fog Fauxccino, London Fog Smoothie, Strawberry Infused Water, and Watermelon Infused Water.
Soup:Black Bean and Turkey Stew, Crock-Pot Potato & Kielbasa Chowder, Crock-Pot Sausage, Spinach, and White Bean Soup, French Onion Soup, Hearty Lasagna Soup, and Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Entrees: Basic Chicken Salad, Basic Hamburger, Chilaquiles, Creamy Parmesan Spaghetti, Creamy Tomato Spinach Pasta, Cucumber Hummus Sandwich, Fajitas, Garlic, Tomato, Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich, One Pan Italian Sausage and Veggies, Slow Cooker Pinto Beans, and Zucchini Boats
Side Dishes: Cheese Potato Crisps, Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos, Garlic and Herb Roasted Potatoes, and Hasselback Potatoes.
Desserts: Baked Apple Slices, Basic Shortbread, Braided Candy Canes, Chocolate Whoppers, Christmas Lace Cookies, Flag Cake, Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, Irish Blueberry Scones, and Sugar Puffs.
Extras: Cottage Cheese Toast, Mock Clotted Cream, My Number One Comfort Food, Simple Charoset, Slow-Cooker Bread, Waffle Quesadilla, and What to Do When You Run Out of Cupcake Liners
This blog was viewed 20,314 times last year.
Thank you all who viewed my work
The busiest day of the year was November 24 with 551 views and the post One Pan Italian Sausage and Veggies
The top five posts of this year were:
5) Apple Orchard Bars from Fudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke (2016)
2)”The Tell-Tale Heart” from Ten Great Mysteries by Edgar Allen Poe (2017)
1)”The October Game” from Long After Midnight by Ray Bradbury (2016)
So what will the next year hold?
You’ll just have to follow me to find out!