Happy Pi Day
Thoughts Before Baking:
As you see above, today is Pi day so I decided to post a pie recipe.
I’ve made a sour cream lemon pie before, but this is a new recipe. This one comes from The Chunky Chef.
- 2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 3/4 Cup of Shortening
- Ice Water
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 2 Lemons Juiced (about 1/2 Cup)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 3 Large Egg Yolks, Lightly Beaten
- 4 Tbsp Cold Butter, Cubed
- 1 Cup of Sour Cream
- Whipped Cream (Optional)
- Lemon Slices (Optional)
- In a mixing bowl, mix up the shortening and flour. Add in water a tablespoon at a time until dough is more malleable. If you add to much and it is too liquid-y, then just add a bit more flour to firm it up.
- Line crust with foil and place beans, rice, or pie weights (as pie dough will rise) and bake for 8 mins or until browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add sugar and cornstarch. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly whisk in milk and lemon juice.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce to low, and cook 2 mins longer, stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Lightly beat eggs in a small mixing bowl. Whisking continuously, add a small amount of the hot lemon mixture, then add the mixture to the hot saucepan.
- Heat pan on medium heat until it comes to a gentle boil, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat again and add lemon zest.
- Continue to cool, but don’t stir.
- Cool mixture for 30-40 mins and then fold in sour cream until no white streaks remain.
- Spoon mixture into the pie crust and spread out evenly.
- Cool in the refrigerator for 4 hours (or more). To serve, top with whipped cream and lemon slices.
Thoughts After Baking:
I made this for Thanksgiving last year and it was sooooo good! It was eaten immediately. I only got one slice! 😦
For more on lemon pies, go to Sour Cream Lemon Pie
For more pie recipes, go to Blueberry Sour Cream Pie
For more pinterest recipes, go to Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
For more desserts, go to Braided Candy Canes