Knit to Kill (Black Sheep Knitting Mystery #9) by Anne Canadeo
It’s been a while since we reviewed these mysteries, so let’s do a brief recap:
So Lucy is getting married!
Well, remarried. Before the big day, the group decides to head out for a girls weekend.
Suzanne Cavanaugh’s old college friend, Amy, lives in a luxury community, Mermaid Manor on Osprey Island. She agreed to let them have a luxury condo for free in exchange of a few free lessons from Maggie.
So the group is off. On their first night, Maggie holds a meeting and they overhear a brawl occurring at a poker game.
Dr. Julian Morton is causing trouble again. He not a very well-liked man. This time Derek Pullman, heavily in debt, has lost a load to Morton-accusing him of cheating. The fight going really bad.
The knitters continue on their way.
The next day Phoebe gets up early and goes off photographing and bird watching. Lucy wants to go bike riding, but it is much too foggy so she heads to yoga class with Dana. I don’t know about you all, but this is giving me flashbacks to the third Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, Knit, Purl, Die. You know how they go to the spa for free, do yoga, and knitting lessons.
The yoga class is interrupted by sirens as it turns out Julian Morton is dead! He was murdered buy being knocked out and then pushed off the cliff.
The Knitters try their hardest not to get involved, but then Amy’s husband is arrested for the murder. They decide they must do all they can to clear his name.
But there are soooooooo many suspects and everyone hated Dr, Morton.
- Derek Pullman-Was conned out of a ton of money to Morton when his funds were already low. Did he give Morton the final push in anger and to be free of his IOU?
- Meredith Quinn-She was Morton’s first wife and got nothing from the divorce. She has to work multiple jobs to just get by. Could she have done it? After all, revenge is a dish best served cold.
- Helen Shelburn-Morton’s neighbor. Morton killed her dog because he would dig up the flower beds when he got out of the yard. He put rat bait in areas purposely where the dog could accidentally eat it and wrapped it in bacon to ensure he would eat it. Helen LOVES her dog, was she getting justice?
- Betty Rutledge-Years ago Betty was a counselor at a camp with her brother and Morton. One day Morton was jealous that her brother won a competition, besting him, and knocked him into the fire-pit, Morton claimed it was “an accident” while Betty knows it was on purpose. It has always angered her that her brother ended up with burns and was so embarrassed he became a hermit. Could she have finally gotten payback?
- Dr. Lewis Fielding-Fielding is Morton’s psychiatrist and Meredith’s lover. Could his love for Meredith and desire to help her overcome his oath to protect lives?
- Tanya Morton-Dr. Morton’s second wife. She badly wanted out of the marriage but suffered from a prenup that would leave her with zilch. Could she have killed him for freedom and lots of dollars?
- Cory Morton-Morton’s son. He got nothing from his father but a mess of issues. When Cory had a great idea and asked his father for a loan, he received mocking words and verbal abuse. Was it the last straw?
Which one, which one? And time is running out for the Knitters. They only have a few days to figure it out.
Thoughts after Reading:
I thought it was okay. It was very slow paced and not as good as the first book or Til Death Do Us Purl. There isn’t really any investigation but just “accidental” revealing of information. Again at the end we are saved with exposition.
As I said before, it reminded me a lot of the third book when they go on the Knitters weekend to the health spa.
When Phoebe just happens to take a picture with an important clue I figured out who it was. Obvious.
I wish they included a recipe for the penne pasta with tomatoes, zucchini, basil, and mozzarella. That sounds really good and I think I will try to make it.
For more Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, go to A Murder in Mohair
For more from Anne Canadeo, go to The Postman Always Purls Twice
For more knitting mysteries, go to Patterns in the Sand
For more Wedding mysteries, go to Floral Depravity