Thoughts Before Cooking:
So who here loves the show Psych?
I love this show. I love the mystery, comedy, parody, and looking at all the yummy food they eat.
One particular thing they mention on the show that has gained a lot of buzz was Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos.
This is from season three, episode fourteen Truer Lies. After it aired it caused quite a stir as it sounded so good people wanted to try it for themselves.
Unfortunately, there is no recipe for it.
But that didn’t stop me and my friend. We wanted to make it and watch the Psych film, so we decided to try out the recipe from Binging with Babish. However, Babish doesn’t cover everything so Genius Kitchen and The Kitchn had to help me fill in the blanks. He also cubes his cheese, but I’ve discovered that shredded works out much better
- 3 Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1.5 Cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1.5 Cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1.5 Cup of Shredded Smoked Gouda
- 1.5 Cup of Shredded Monterey Jack
- Bread Crumbs
- 1.5 Cup of Sour Cream
- Ancho Chile Powder to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Scrub the potatoes clean and remove any blemishes.
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and use a fork to prick them with holes.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, turning them over every 20 minutes. When potatoes are finished remove pan from oven. (Potatoes are done when the skins are dry and the insides feel completely soft when pierced.)
- We want as little moisture as possible, so as soon as you remove the potatoes slice them in half and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 400 degrees F.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and lay out a few strips of bacon.
- Bake the bacon for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from oven, drain on paper towels, and set aside.
- Run them through a potato ricer. If you do not have a potato ricer, scoop the insides of the potatoes into a bowl, add 2-3 tablespoons of butter, and use a potato masher.
- Add an egg and sprinkle with salt. Mix together. If mixture is too soft to handle, add some flour to firm it up.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- Mix cheeses into one bowl.
- Lay out three bowls. In the first place one cup of flour, in the second two eggs, and in the third one cup of bread crumbs.
- Take the mashed potato mixture and firm into a ball. Fill it with the cheese mixture.
- Roll ball into flour, then eggs, and then bread crumbs.
- Repeat until all the potato mixture is used.
- Deep fry at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos with salt.
- Scoop out the sour cream and place in a bowl.
- Add the chile powder and stir it in.
- Pour the chile powder and sour cream mixture on a plate.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and sprinkle on the chile powder and sour cream.
- Stack Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos on top of each other.
- Eat, dipping potatoes in the sour cream mixture.
Thoughts Before Cooking:
It was delicious!
The only thing I would change is, as I said earlier, doing shredded cheese over cubed. It makes sure you get the most out of it. Other wise I loved them!
For more potato recipes, go to Baked Potato Soup
For more recipes, go to Pão de Queijo