Thoughts Before Cooking:
So Tuesday’s post was a mystery set in India, and I thought I should have an Indian/Indian themed recipe to go with it. I had planned to make some naan, but as I hadn’t yet, I thought I would borrow a chai tea recipe from my sister blog, JaneAustenRunsMyLife. I wouldn’t say I’m lazy, but as she has already done it, why not borrow it?
This recipe comes from a book we added at the library, Lose Weight By Eating: Detox Week by Audrey Johns. I was flipping through the book, processing it, when this recipe caught my eye and I had to make it.
“Oh, the irony…I’m typing this at a coffeehouse. I’m just trying to be honest here, because though I don’t often visit coffeehouses, I do once in a while when I need a quiet space to work. I made this recipe earlier today, then figured, “What the heck, let’s make sure it is as good as Starbucks,” so I headed on over to my local spot and ordered-you guessed it-a chai tea latte. So here I am, drinking my second chai tea latte of the day and typing up my recipe, which I think tastes exactly the same.
I whisk the milk by hand, and it’s very easy. It only takes a minute and you’re done (and by the way I’ve had two wrist surgeries in my whisking hand, so I assure you anyone can handle this mild activity).”
- 3 Chai Tea Bags, with the Paper Tags Cut Off
- 2 Cups of Unsweetened Almond Milk or Milk of your choice
- 2 Tablespoons of Pure Maple Syrup (optional)
- Sugar (optional)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice (optional)
- Heat 2 cups of water.
- One heated, remove from heat and steep 3 bags of chai tea for five minutes.
- In a small saucepan heat the milk over medium-low heat. As soon as the milk is simmering, whisk it.
- Pour the tea into two cups and and add sugar, maple syrup, or other sweetener.
- Top with frothy milk.
- Sprinkle on some pumpkin pie spice (if using).
- Congratulations, you just saved yourself $5.04.
Thoughts After Making:
I thought it was really good, I had also learned from reading my sister blog’s post to make additional cups of tea as you end up with way more milk than tea.
For more recipes from JaneAustenRunsMyLife, go to Matcha Green Tea Blast Smoothie
For more tea recipes, go to Matcha Latte (Hot or Cold)
For more drink recipes, go to Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal Smoothie