Thoughts Before Cooking:
On my flipboard I follow a recipe section as I’m always looking for new things to try out. This recipe was from Teen Vogue‘s “13 High-Protein Meal Prep Recipes to Make This Sunday“. They had gotten the recipe from the blog Chelsea’s Messy Apron. This sounded like the perfect recipe for my guy and I. Meat and protein rich for him, healthy and veggie filled for me.
- 2 Large Carrots (About 2 Cups)
- 2 Red Potatoes (About 2 Cups)
- 1 Medium Zucchini (About 2 1/3 Cups)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (About 2 Cups)
- 1 Head of Broccoli (About 1.5 Cups)
- 1 lb of Italian Turkey or Chicken Sausage
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Dried Basil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/3 Cup of Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- 4.5 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, for easy clean-up, and set aside.
- **Prep the veggies exactly stated to ensure they all cook at the same time.** Peel and very thinly slice the carrots.
- Wash (and if desired peel) the red potatoes. You want the pieces quite small.
- Halve the zucchini and then cut them into thick “coins”.
- Coarsely chop the broccoli.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and chop them into medium-sized pieces.
- Chop the sausage into thick coins.
- Pour all the veggies and sausage onto the pan.
- In a small bowl combine the seasonings, salt and pepper to taste, and the olive oil.
- Pour the seasonings and oil mixture on top of the veggies and sausage and toss to coat.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and toss veggies and sausage. Return to the oven for another 10-15 mins or until veggies are crisp and tender.
- Remove from oven and add freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Thoughts After Cooking:
This was really good.
There was only one problem, THE POTATOES!
They took forever to cook. I don’t know why, so this actually took much longer than the 35 mins it said it would.
Next time I would cook the potatoes in the microwave first, even for a bit, so that it wouldn’t take so long.
For more healthy recipes, go to Cottage Cheese Toast
For more recipes, go to Chilaquiles