Thoughts before cooking:
This recipe comes from The Cat Who…Cookbook. It is inspired by the soup eaten by Polly Duncan and James “Qwill” Qwilleran. It sounded good, fast, and easy to make-so of course I wanted to try it out.
- 3 Tablespoons of Onion, finely chopped
- 5 Tablespoons of Butter
- 5 Tablespoons of Flour
- 1 14-oz can of Chicken Broth
- 1/3 Cup of Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Baked Potato (6-7 inch baker), cold, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 2 Cups of Half-and-Half
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 6 Slices of Bacon, cooked, broken into bits (Or use Bacon Bits)
- Cheddar Cheese, to go on top
- Sauté the onions in butter.
- While stirring, slowly add the flour and then the chicken broth.
- Cook until it thickens.
- Add the cheddar cheese, stirring until it melts.
- Then add the potato, leaving the skin on the pieces.
- Finally stir in the half-and-half and the milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese.
Thoughts after cooking:
I loved this soup!
It was so delicious I just wanted to eat more and more.
The only problem is that when you add the milk and half and half you have to stir constantly so it doesn’t burn.
I took a picture, but it didn’t come out well. The color makes it hard to photograph unless you have a really special camera. Oh well.
For more recipes from The Cat Who…Cookbook, go to Nature’s Own Cocktail
For more soup recipes, go to Crazy Cantina Chili
For more potato recipes, go to Scandinavian Spuds
For more recipes, go to Kielbasa Bowtie Pasta