Thoughts Before Cooking:
I’ve never been a big eggplant fan-but when I saw the picture in the Real Simple magazine. I decided to try it, and hoped it would turn out right.
- Safflower Oil, for the Grill
- 4 Large Slices of Country Bread, 1 inch thick
- 1 Large Eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 Clove of Garlic, Halved
- 12 Ounces Smoked Mozzarella (They didn’t have it so I used Low-Skim)
- 2 Large Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1 Cup of Fresh Basil
- Heat grill to medium. Once it’s hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush.
- Oil the grill grate with the Safflower Oil.
- Brush the bread and eggplant with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill bread until brown and crisp, one to two minutes, and rub with garlic.
- Slice in half crosswise, and put aside.
- Grill eggplants, turning occasionally, until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place the mozzarella on the bread and grill, covered, just until it is warm and beginning to melt.
- Top with the eggplant, the tomato, and then basil.
- Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve with a salad. (I recommend the caesar.)
Thoughts After Cooking:
I LOVED IT!
I thought it was so good and couldn’t stop eating it.
You should try it out!
For more Real Simple recipes, go to Orecchiette with Red Onions, Almonds, and Green Bell Pepper
For more grill recipes, go to Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups
For more eggplant dishes, go to Ratatouille
For more Vegetarian recipes, go to Crazy Cantina Chili