Thoughts Before Cooking:
I had made the Brussels Sprouts Turkey Sausage & Pesto Pizza Casserole from this magazine and thought that was all I wanted. However, months later I decided to review it before donating it for an art project. There I found this recipe.
Now I had to change it up as I am not a fan of two ingredients they used: green olives and ricotta cheese.
Like the White Bean and Barley Soup with Tomatoes and Greens, this recipe also came with a rating system.
[X] Quick Cooking
[ ] Healthy Pick
[ ] Freezable
[ ] Big Batch
[ ] Slow Cooker
[ ] One Pot
[ ] Whole-Grain
[ ] Gluten Free
- 12 ounces of Orecchiette (or small pasta)
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, plus more for later
- 2 Medium Red Onions, Chopped
- 2/3 Cup of Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 2/3 Cup of Roasted Almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup of grated Parmesan Cheese, plus more for later
- 1 Cup of Cottage Cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While that is cooking chop the vegetables and the almonds.
- Heat the two tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Once heated add the red onion, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook until tender (~8-10 mins).
- Drain the cooked pasta and put it back in the pot.
- Add the red onion,the lemon juice, bell pepper, almonds, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir.
- When well mixed, transfer to a serving bowl or platter.
- Dollop with the cottage cheese, drizzle olive oil, and sprinkle with pepper and cheese.
Thoughts After Cooking:
I had a photograph, but I’m not sure what happened to it as I can’t find it anywhere. This recipe was very delicious as the cottage cheese and bell pepper perfectly complimented the rest of the dish. I will definitely be making this again!
For more Real Simple Magazine recipes, go to Basil Spaghetti with Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes
For more pasta dishes, go to Pasta with Prosciutto, Cherry Tomatoes, and Asiago
For more vegetarian recipes, go to White Bean and Barley Soup with Tomatoes and Greens
For more recipes, go to Lemon Scones