Thoughts Before Cooking:
This recipe comes from Real Simple magazine, issue June 2011.
It sounded fantastic so I couldn’t wait to make it.
- 12 oz Spaghetti
- 3 Large Beefsteak Tomatoes (about 1.5 lbs), each cut into 4 slices
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- Black Pepper
- 8 oz fresh Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 Cup of grated Parmesan (1 oz), plus more for serving
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper
- 3/4 Cup of torn Fresh Basil Leaves, plus more for serving
- Heat broiler.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to pot.
- Meanwhile, arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet.
- Season with the salt and black pepper.
- Dividing evenly, sprinkle the slices with the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, 3-5 mins.
- In a small saucepan, warm the oil with the garlic and red pepper over medium heat, until fragrant (about 1-2 mins.)
- Add the contents of the saucepan; along with the basil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the pasta and toss to combine.
- Serve topped with the tomatoes, basil, and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Thoughts After Cooking:
I loved it. I thought it was absolutely delicious with just the right taste of spice.
My parents thought it was too spicy and would prefer no red pepper. But I thought it was just perfect and can’t wait to make it again.
For more pasta recipes, go to Broken Lasagna with Zucchini-Tomato Sauce
For more Real Simple Magazine recipes, go to White Bean and Barley Soup with Tomatoes and Greens
For more recipes, go to No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies