Happy Pi Day!
Thoughts Before Baking:
As you see above, today is Pi day so I decided to make a pie. I’ve been wanting to make a lemon pie, but was looking for something other than lemon meringue, as I’m not a huge fan of meringue. So I looked around on pinterest until I found this one. I had never had it before, but thought why not test it out?
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1.5 Cups of Finely Ground Graham Crackers (~9 crackers)
- 1/3 Cup of White Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons of Butter, Melted
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter.
- Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 7 mins. Cool.
Sour Cream Lemon Pie Filling
- One 9 inch Pie Shell Baked, or 9 inch Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 3.5 Tablespoons of Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Zest
- 1/2 Cup of Lemon Juice
- 3 Egg Yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- 1 Cup of Sour Cream
- Whipped Cream for Garnish
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, beaten egg yolks, and milk in a heavy duty metal saucepan.
- Cook the ingredients on medium heat, stirring constantly, until filling thickens. This takes about 10 mins.
- The filling will thicken and then boil. As soon as it boils remove from heat and add the butter.
- Stir until butter is well incorporated.
- Let it cool for 10 mins in the pan and then add the sour cream.
- Stir until incorporated.
- Pour filling into baked pie shell.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and serve.
Thoughts After Reading:
The graham cracker crust didn’t come out right, it just fell apart. I think the next time I make it I would do a regular crust.
The filling was amazing, it was very thick and rich. Although I felt the whipped cream on top was overkill and it was better without.
For more lemon recipes, go to Lemon Meringue Chiffon Cake
For more pies, go to With the 4th of July Comes Apple Pie
For more holiday posts, go to Cocoa M&M Cookies
For more pinterest recipes, go to Mozzarella Tomato Toast
For more desserts, go to Apple Orchard Bars