Thoughts Before Cooking:
I really wanted to make this recipe as it is super hard to find recipes that use actual lemon juice from a lemon and not just the lemon zest.
Of course I don’t have as much money or resources as her so I had to do a few things differently.
- 3/4 lbs of Spaghetti
- Coarse Salt (I just used regular)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 1/2 Cups of finely grated fresh Parmesan Cheese + some for later
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-5 Tablespoons of Pasta Water
- Handful of Basil Leaves (~4 Leafy Stems)
- Shred Parmesan cheese.
- Boil the spaghetti in boiling water according to package directions.
- Grate the zest from the lemon (the lemon peel), and place it in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the lemon in half and juice it. Add juice to the bowl.
- Add the parmesan cheese, pepper, salt, and olive oil to the bowl.
- Mix until it forms a wet paste.
- When the spaghetti is cooked, drain it BUT save your water.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of pasta water to the large mixing bowl.
- Add the spaghetti and toss throughly, coating all the noodles. Add more pasta water if needed.
- Roughly tear in the basil leaves.
- Serve each portion with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
Thoughts after cooking:
So in the preamble to the recipe Paltrow says [direct quote]:
“Again, easy peasy. Not only can this be made while the pasta is cooking, you have plenty of time to make a lovely salad and assemble a cheese plate for after dinner.”
Yes it is easy, but uh no you cannot have this done by the time the pasta is cooking. Parmesan cheese takes forever to grate, especially that much. Do it first as it will make everything a lot easier.
I also hated how there were no pictures of this pasta in her book, instead all we have is a picture of a lemon. That’s not helpful when I am trying to gage whether my sauce is thick enough.
However, this was amazingly delicious and I will definitely make it again.
For more pasta recipes, go to Broccoli and Tortellini Salad with Pesto
For more recipes, go to Dark Choco Almond Butter Cookies