Thoughts before cooking:
In Strawberry Shortcake Murder, they give a recipe for Hannah’s shortcake. But like in Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, I didn’t like the recipe they gave for their titular treat. It just wasn’t how I like my shortcake. So here is recipe my family likes to use.
- 3 Boxes of Fresh Strawberries
- 1-2 Cans of spray Whipped Cream
- 2 1/4 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons of White Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/3 Cup of Shortening
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 2/3 Cup of Milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour one 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour; baking powder, and salt.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk.
- Stir until combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until brown.
- Let it cool.
- Wash and slice your strawberries
- Slice cake in half, horizontally, making two layers.
- One one layer, place strawberries, covering them with whipped cream, and another layer of strawberries.
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the strawberry/whipped cream. Cover in whipped cream, and top with strawberries.
Thoughts after cooking:
It was my first time making this cake and I loved it. I made for my niece’s birthday, and our only problem was that her birthday party occurred on cake one of the hottest days of the year. The cake melted, but it was so good we ate the whole thing.
For more recipes inspired by the Hannah Swenson Mysteries, go to Butter Berry Cookies
For more dessert recipes, go to Peppermint Bark Chocolate Cupcakes
For more recipes, go to Broccoli & Tortellini Salad with Pesto