So I collect old magazines. I cut the pictures out and make collage cards. So as I was thumbing through one of these magazines I found a recipe for Broccoli & Tortellini Salad with Pesto, it sounded good so I thought I would try it out.
- 2 cups of basil leaves, packed
- 3 to 4 Garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 Cup of Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons of toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16-oz Package of Cheese Tortellini
- Frozen Broccoli Florets
- 1 Tomato
- Put on a large pot of water to boil.
- While water is heating, prepare the pesto.
- Remove basil leaves from stems.
- Wash leaves and dry them on paper towels. (Make sure the leaves are dry or the recipe will not work.)
- In a blender or food processor, mix leaves with chopped garlic, 1/3 cup of olive oil and blend.
- Add nuts and cheese, mix again, adding another 1/3 cup of oil. Sauce should be smooth.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Cook tortellini in water according to package instructions.
- Cook broccoli according to package instructions.
- Transfer broccoli and tortellini to a large bowl.
- Toss with pesto.
- Slice one tomato and serve on the side.
Thoughts after cooking:
I thought this meal was good, but not great. I didn’t care for the broccoli in the salad and thought it needed an extra umph. I’ll have to work on it and post if I come up with a good recipe.
For more pasta dishes, go to Chicken, Asparagus, and Tomato Pesto Pasta
For more on cooking with pesto, go to Pasta with Roasted Asparagus, Artichokes, and Pesto
For more mysterious recipes, go to Butter Berry Cookies