Thoughts prior to cooking:
This was a re-imagining of the Pasta with Roasted Asparagus, Artichokes, and Pesto recipe from Knit. Purl. Die.
- 2 cups of basil leaves, packed
- 3 to 4 Garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 Cup of Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons of toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb of pasta
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Large bunch (1 lb or more) of asparagus
- 2 Chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Cup of Cherry tomatoes
- Pesto sauce
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Start with pesto sauce. Remove basil leaves from stems.
- Wash leaves and dry them on paper towels. (Make sure the leaves are dry or the recipe will not work.)
- In a blender or food processor, mix leaves with chopped garlic, 1/3 cup of olive oil and blend.
- Add nuts and cheese, mix again, adding another 1/3 cup of oil. Sauce should be smooth.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Cook pasta to package directions. Set aside.
- Wash asparagus and trim ends about 2-3 inches.
- Set them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil and shake pan to coat spears. Bake in oven 7-10 mins.
- Let it cool and cut into pieces.
- While asparagus is cooking, in a large heavy pan, large enough to hold the pasta, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place chicken in the heated oil. When cooked, remove and set aside.
- Add two more tablespoons of oil to pan and heat. Add onion and garlic.
- Cook onion until clear and soft. Add asparagus, toss lightly. Lower heat so vegetables don’t overcook.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in halves and add to mixture.
- Add chicken.
- Add cooked pasta.
- Add the pesto sauce and turn.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Thoughts after cooking:
This was absolutely delicious and way better then the recipe from the book. I could eat this and eat it until I explode.
For more pasta recipes, go to Angel Hair Pasta with Chicken
For more recipes, go to With the 4th of July Comes Apple Pie