With the 4th of July tomorrow, I thought I should do some recipe that honors the day. As I was pondering this, the answer came to me. Apple pie. The perfect dish for America’s birthday.
Thoughts before cooking:
Now this was a mysterious dish four years ago when I entered a pie bake-off. I searched the internet for the perfect apple pie, and found this recipe. It sounded simple and I risked it. I didn’t win (there was a gazillion pies) but not only did I think it was amazing, but everyone else did too. This recipe is from the food network and was posted by Sandi Anderson from Tyler’s Ultimate. Of course I have tweaked it over the years to suit the way I like it.
- 2 Cups of All-Purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 3/4 Cup of Shortening
- Ice Water
- 1/2 Cup – 1 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 6-7 Granny Smith Apples peeled, and cut into slices
- 1 Cup of White Sugar
- 1 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- In a mixing bowl, mix up the shortening and flour. Add in water a tablespoon at a time until dough is more malleable. If you add to much and it is to liquid-y, then just add a bit more flour to firm it up.
- Put dough aside.
- When cutting up the apples, make sure to remove the hard pieces where the seed grows along with any spots or blemishes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Combine the apples, with the brown and white sugar.
- Add the flour and cinnamon, mixing them all together.
- Divid the dough in half and roll into two balls.
- Take a cutting board and put a little flour on the surface, rubbing it. Rub flour on your rolling pin as well.
- Place the dough down and roll it into a large circle.
- Place the dough in a cake pan.
- Lay the apples down on the dough in the pan.
- Put the two tablespoons of butter on top.
- Repeat step 8.
- Place the second ball of dough down and roll it out into a large circle.
- Place it on top, to be the top of your pie.
- Cut a small incision on the top of the pie to allow steam out.
- Add a dash of cinnamon and sugar on top.
Thoughts after baking:
Best pie I ever made and sure to be the crowning achievement to any 4th of July celebration. At least until the fireworks come out!
For more recipes, go to Best Guacamole Ever! (Plus Make Your Own Tortilla Chips!)