This recipe is inspired from A Dash of Death (A Hemlock Falls Mystery #2)
Thoughts Prior to Cooking:
I read this book years ago and I really wanted to make gazpacho after reading it. The only thing was that I didn’t like the recipe they gave at the back of the book as they use vodka. Now I cannot drink alcohol at all or use it in my cooking, unless it is cooked through. I tried finding a substitute for the vodka, but came up with squat. So I decided to instead use a different recipe. This one may not be the one from the book, but I never would have wanted to make any type of gazpacho if it wasn’t for having read this mystery.
- 1 Cup of finely chopped, seeded, & peeled tomatoes
- 1 Cup of chopped, seeded cucumber
- 3/4 Cup chopped green onion
- 3/4 Cup of sliced black olives
- 3/4 Cup of chopped celery
- 1 10.5-oz can of Vegetable Broth
- 3 Cups of tomato juice
- 1/2 Cup of white cooking wine
- 3 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of hot sauce
- Cucumber or celery sticks (optional)
In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, green onion, celery, olives, broth, tomato juice, vinegar, wine, garlic powder, and hot sauce.
Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve cold. Garnish with cucumber or celery sticks. Makes 8 servings.
Thoughts after cooking:
I thought this was really good. It was almost like drinking a salad, the way the vegetables all mingle together.